Monday, August 18, 2014

Via Ferrata - A Multigenerational Sport!

Mama Mia - this event deserves it's own post.

When I saw the via ferrata in Switzerland, I became obsessed with finding out more about them and figuring out when I could try it.  I quickly discovered that via ferrata's started in northern Italy in the Dolomites.  Lucky for me, I was headed that way.

Back during World War I, there was a brutal battle over the Dolomites between Italy and Austria.  Each country was trying to claim the high vantage points of the steep mountains.  So the Italian army started creating via ferrata's (permanent cables, bridges and iron ladders) that they used to transport their cargo for battle.  After the war, the Italian alpine groups maintained and expanded the network of via ferrata's.

Jaida was very eager to try one too so I found one that is suitable for children.  Col Rodella - a 40 minute climb at the top of a mountain.  When I told Brigitte I had signed her up for this activity with Jaida and myself, she said "Oh, I saw one of those, I'd love to try it".  Perfect - that was easy.

When we got to the top of the gondola and started walking on a skinny path on the side of a steep mountain we started to wonder what we had gotten into.  Then we got to the bottom of the rock and Tony (our guide) pointed to the climb.  Brigitte was shocked!  She had pictured one of those adventure parks where you walk along bridges and cables strapped in about 20 ft off the ground.  But she was happy to give it a go.

This climb was not easy.  Aside from the treacherous deathly drops, the actual climbing required strength, flexibilty and skill (none of which I thought I had in me).

For several moments during this climb, I felt terribly guilty for signing up my mother in law without her really knowing what it was (although I thought she knew a bit about them).  And for even more moments, I felt like the worst parent in the world for bringing Jaida on this.  There were a few moments with tears and her looking at me bewildered saying she couldn't do it.  I didn't really have a chance to be scared for myself because I had to remain super calm and encourage her to move on, we really didn't have a choice because going down this rock was NOT an option.

At one point I asked Tony if we were almost at the top and he yelled down, "This is life - NOW".  That was so inspiring for me, it reminded me to really take in the world around me and enjoy it.  Jaida and Brigitte were also inspiring, they worked through their fears with strength and they also enjoyed the adventure.

Enjoy these pictures but keep in mind that each time we took a picture, it was in a safe zone - we would not have taken out our camera in one of the tricky areas.

by the way, this climb was more like an hour and a half (not 40 minutes!)



Tony getting us ready for the climb

so excited!





Jaida, Brigitte and Michele




Brigitte conquering this mountain!

so happy to be at the top, the views were amazing and the paragliders were soaring by




I took Christian to the start of the climb afterwards, he was impressed

Col Rodella from the gondola.  We climbed close to the left side to the top


1 comment:

  1. Well done you girls! Loved seeing these and hearing the story behind it... looks like an amazing trip... enjoy Italy in your last week! Hugs MJ and Jaglin

    ReplyDelete